The Language of Work Almut Koester
The Intertext series has been specifically designed to meet the needs of contemporary English Language Studies. Working with Texts: A Core Introduction to Language Analysis (second edition 2001) is the foundation text, which is complemented by a range of 'satellite' titles. These provide students with hands-on practical experience of textual analysis through special topics, and can be used individually or in conjunction with Working with Texts.
The Language of Work:
- examines how language is used in business and the workplace, looking at a range of situations and data: from meetings to informal negotiations, promotional letters to emails
- explores representations of work in advertising, career magazines and workplace talk
- looks at the way people in business interact through small talk, politeness, customer care and management-employee relationships
- is illustrated with lively examples taken from the real world and includes a full index of terms
- features a useful section on entering the world of work, exploring job adverts and texts that give advice on CV writing and developing 'transferable skills'.